Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lancaster County-One of the 10,000 villages?

July 12, 2008

Well, after a very late night it was also a late start. We were only about 1 ½ hours from Craig’s parent’s house, though. We stopped for lunch at a Sonic Burgers. Apparently, it has newly opened in the area. My mom really liked the skating car hops and took some pictures. We arrived at the Dagen’s around 2pm and I was greeted by Craig’s dad, Nelson, with a big hug and a punch to my arm. His first words were something like, “I’m just following directions.” My response was, “You talked to Craig, huh?” He said they had just gotten off the phone earlier today. This is often how Craig greets me. The only thing missing was a head-butt. We got some of the luggage in, had a drink, and then we took off to go see the Ten Thousand Villages store. It was beautifully painted outside and HUGE! (I guess it’s one of the first ones.) It had a café and one whole room with handmade rugs from Pakistan. There was one that really intrigued me with a map of Pakistan and Afghanistan on it and then a border of all sorts of flags from different countries. None of these rugs were in my budget (I saw one for $7300), but it was nice to admire them.

My mom and I stopped a couple other places and then headed back to the Dagens’. Barb made a wonderful lentil and barley dish and we had AMAZING fresh corn (some of the first of the season.) It was SO sweet that the four of us finished 10 ears!! After dinner, we went outside and Barb gave us a tour of her herb garden and flowers. Neither my mom nor I can grow or know anything about plants, so it was interesting. Lots of wonderful sights and smells. We all sat out on the porch and watched lightning bugs and some distant personal fireworks as the local church bells rang out an evening tune. There is an Amish neighbor with horses and near sunset there was a colt that came out with its mom behind the white rail fence. We could still see it over the 5-6 foot corn, but the Dagens said it would not be seen when the corn got taller. It was the epitome of a bucolic moment. Definitely worth a contented sign.

No comments: