Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ithaca and Niagara

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yesterday was a wonderfully restful day in Ithaca with Molly. After a late night talking, we slept in and then Molly and I headed out to pick up Mom at her hotel. We came back to Molly's for a nice lunch and then headed out for some shopping. My mom wanted to go to an antique mall, so found one and spent about an hour wandering through a large 2-story antique store.

I have a store that I like and we don't have near my house, but there is one in Ithaca. I had bought a skirt there last summer when I was visiting Molly and, after wearing it only a few times, the seams fell apart because of the fabric. I was going to see if I could get my mom to fix it, but she suggested that I just bring it back to the store. We went to the store and I explained the story to them and they gave me a store credit for it. This wasn't a problem because there were a few things I wanted to get there anyway. I tried on a bunch of stuff and got feedback on color coordination from Molly and my mom. I ended up with a couple really nice outfits for the fall. As we were walking out of the mall, my mom and I had our pictures taken in one of those mall photo booths.

In the evening, we went to The Boat Yard Grill. It was on the water of the inlet to one of the "finger lakes" in New York. Our table was by the window and we could see boats heading in and out of the marina. After dinner we walked along the path by the lake. We brought Mom back to her hotel by around 8:30 pm and then Molly and I went home and watched Juno. I hadn't seen it and I was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes when you hear so much about a movie, it becomes a disappointment just because it doesn't live up to everyone raving about it. Molly and I were up late deep in conversation, which made this morning come really early!!!

I picked Mom up at 8am and we started the 5 hour drive to Toronto. The GPS initially encouraged us to go around the north of Lake Ontario, which we vetoed after looking at a map. It may have been "faster," but we wanted to see the Niagara Falls. The funny thing was that, after we stopped for gas and turned the car back on, Thea GPS re-routed and sent us the way we WANTED to go. Apparently, she was "listening"--isn't technology creepy!!!

We parked on the Canadian side of the falls and walked back toward the falls. We walked by a really nice botanical garden and wandered by the fountains. We then headed over to the falls. I'm always amazed by how much water there is going over the falls. We did watch a couple of the boats approach the bottom of the falls.

We are now enjoying Jeff and Doreen's hospitality in Toronto, Canada:-)

No comments: