Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harry, Pottery, and the deathly bowels

Thursday, July 26, 2007

So Tuesday morning we get up to go to Bat Trang (Pronounced “bach” “chaung”)Village. This is a pottery village with the whole street lined with pottery stores. They also do a large part of the pottery export to other parts in Vietnam and internationally. When I got up, I felt a little “funny” and figured I had eaten too much the night before. Around the 3rd time I had to use one of the bathrooms in the pottery shops, I realized I wasn’t feeling well. We came home and I crashed for a 4 hour nap.

When I got up for dinner Sandy’s friend Susan was there. Susan had been in the states and was coming back. She had, graciously, agreed to bring me the new Harry Potter book to save me hunting for it in Japan on my layover. The American teachers from the Lomonoxop team came for dinner and we had waffles, eggs, and bacon. One of the teachers, Clay, had been sick when we got back from Ha Long Bay and was just starting to recover. Sandy and Susan told me (and Clay) to be careful with eating. The rule is 24 hours with only liquids, then ONLY thing like rice, white bread, and bananas. By about an hour after dinner I realized I had pushed the envelope!! I was faint, nauseous, and sure I was going to die from the stomach cramps. Turns out you don’t die, but just feel like that would be less work!!

Wednesday I had been scheduled to go “grass skiing” with the school, but I stayed home sleeping, etc. I had told Sandy the night before that, if I was going to be sick, I would at least want to read my book. However, Wednesday was so awful in the morning that I didn’t even feel up to holding the book until around 2pm!! You know it’s bad when you don’t even feel like starting the new HP book!!!

Now it’s Thursday and I feel like 2 days are unaccounted for. I’ve finished the book, so that’s something—I won’t spoil it, but it was written in a different, more reflective tone than the others. Tonight we were scheduled to go jewelry shopping with the team, but I’ll see how I’m feeling. Things seem to be on the mend. Sandy said she sent an email to UV to pray for my health and that seems to have helped!!! We’ll see what tomorrow brings….

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is definitely bad when you--the English teacher--can't read. sorry to hear you're sick. will be praying for you to get better. saw the newest HP movie tonight---so good...intense, i was jumping out of my seat for the first 30 minutes of the film, ...but good. ;)